How To Apply/Get IHSS
The steps for obtaining In-Home Supportive Services are outlined below. However, every county in California may have a slightly different procedure for applying for In-Home Supportive Services. For example, some counties have you apply by phone, online, or by sending in a paper application. Therefore, you may want to contact the main IHSS office at 1-877-800-4544. In fact, the best option would be to contact your county’s IHSS office.
Common IHSS Application Procedure
- The disabled person must have Medi-Cal or a waiver from the Regional Center. This is where the funding to pay for services comes from. In most cases, you will need the institutional deeming waiver from your RC.
- Fill out SOC 295 – “Application for In-Home Supportive Services”. The form is available in three languages.
- Submit the application to your county IHSS office.
- If you are pursuing Protective Supervision, have the disabled person’s PCP fill out SOC 821 – Assessment of Need for Protective Supervision for In-Home Supportive Services Program.
- Sign up to be a provider if you are going to provide the in-home services to the disabled person. Use SOC 426 to do so. You will want to do this if you plan to be a parent provider to your child. See also SOC 847
- Wait for the county to contact you for a scheduled assessment. They will usually contact you within 30 days from receiving your application.
It can take up to 30 days to receive your “Notice of Action” (NOA). Meanwhile, you can prepare for your assessment by reading the following. After all, Knowledge is key in obtaining the services you require.
- IHSS Nuts and Bolts
- New In-home Supportive Services Advocates Manual
- DRC Self-Assessment and Fair Hearing Guide
- IHSS Advocacy Private Facebook Group
Using an Advocate
In conclusion, the application process is simple and straight forward. Most applicants are granted services with little trouble. On the other hand, in the event you are denied services, it’s often helpful to contact a professional for free advice or representation.